February 8, 2010

Babies don't Keep

Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.
~
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.
~
Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo
~
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.
~
The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.
~
Ruth Hulbert Hamilton
~
I love this poem. My mom has this cross stiched and it hung in the nursery and still hangs over the crib at her house. I remember rocking my younger sister's and brother and reading it to them. It wasn't long before I had it memorized. Now that I'm a mother with small children of my own it rings so true.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I love this poem too! It's nice to be reminded to slow down and just spend time with your kids.

I can't wait to see all your little kiddos soon!

sladefamilyaz said...

Such a sweet poem and oh so true!

Michelle said...

I love this poem too! It reminds me of my own kids ;)